Hi,

I've seen a couple of external radar clients for Flightgear being developed
right now.
I think that these days, with the advent of Canvas and other improvements, it
should be possible and desirable to have a realistic radar station inside
Flightgear.

At the moment, I'm only concerned about radar ranges and interference of
terrain obstructions, weather, ground clutter.
For this purpose, I propose a template implementation of radar transceivers
and transponders:
It is not possible to provide a detailed terrain picture on every antenna
rotation. Sampling all terrrain 360 degrees around the station would cripple
performance. Thus, I would just take all positions of aircraft inside the
nominal range and perform radio calculations on them, using larger sampling
distances and simpler routines for aircraft above a treshhold flightlevel.
If terrain around the antenna is obstructing the signal, or weather affects
it, we can simulate that correctly.

Transponder responses are also a candidate for the new radio code. Like in
reality, it is possible to have radar contact but lose transponder id because
of radio issues.

Awaiting comments,
Adrian