Hi,

let me chime in here with a personal note, hoping it's not offending
anybody.

Although I like having accurate and detailed computation of our
real-world simulation, I'm not really a friend of the radio propagation
code with the level of detail given. Please let me explain why that is
the case:
The radio stations used for aviation purpose certainly follow the same
physical laws as any other radio station does. However, their
performance have to adhere to some specific rules, mostly set up by the
ICAO. Service volumes is on of these rules, a straight ILS final track
is another etc. If real life's environment disturbes the performance of
the radio stations, the operator has to work hard to override these
environmental impacts. As we usually do not have any detailed
information about how the radio station is set up (and I doubt, we will
ever get those), it's close to impossible to correctly model radio
probagation of a specific station. Adding envirionmental factors besides
terrain and terrain cover and the factors of aircraft installations will
result in a wide range of uncertainty, spoiling all the detailed
computation of the radio signal propagation.

As a pilot, I am usually just interested in the factor, if I am within
the service volume of a radio station. If so, I'd expect a clear and
correct indication, probably with the well-known system errors applied.
If I am outside the service volume, the systems may show "something",
but I do not really care about what exactly an ILS indicator (as an
example) is showing.

 From real life experience, I can say that barely two stations behave
the same if you are outside their published range. Sidelobes of a
localizer may appear at on site and may not at another site. False
glideslopes appear here but do not show up somewhere else. It depends
heavily on the local setup of the base equipment (and to some degree on
aircraft installations). However, I have seen the shoreline effect of
ADF stations deflection my ADF needle heavily and I have seen effects of
nearby thunderstorms and lightning on the instruments. I'd love to see
these effects modeled.

That said, I think doing realtime radio signal propagations is much more
that we need and much more than we want. At least unless we are
multi-threading and have a spare CPU for those computations.

This is certainly just my personal point of view.

Greetings,
Torsten