Flightgear does not support Wayland yet. It would be neat, as less cruft
in the render system (no networking is included with Wayland, whereas it
is with X) means higher FPS, as does more graphics memory available
(shut down X first you know!)

It DOES run under Wayland, with the Xwayland extension. It is so slow I
did not bother taking off, averaging at less than 1 fps.

 From wayland.freedesktop.org:

Wayland is a protocol for a compositor to talk to its clients as well as
a C library implementation of that protocol. The compositor can be a
standalone display server running on Linux kernel modesetting and evdev
input devices, an X application, or a wayland client itself. The clients
can be traditional applications, X servers (rootless or fullscreen) or
other display servers.

Part of the Wayland project is also the Weston reference implementation
of a Wayland compositor. Weston can run as an X client or under Linux
KMS and ships with a few demo clients. The Weston compositor is a
minimal and fast compositor and is suitable for many embedded and mobile
use cases.

--
'We may not be Anonymous, for you can track our eMail.
But we are soon to be legion, for we do not want censorship.'