On 3 Mar 2013, at 07:07, Renk Thorsten <thorsten.i.r...@jyu.fi> wrote:

> Personally, I think reserving key binding for things which you can really do
> in a real cockpit is not a bad concept. And I would really like to understand
> why some people think it's necessary to change the visibility so often that a
> menu option doesn't work for them whereas I need to change my NAV frequencies
> in the menu (while flying the plane with the mouse... I can do this with just
> one control device)

Right, I mentioned this on IRC and earned some comments too :)

My point of view is that the current keybindings file is a mess, with many
historical bindings, and also it binds in the ASCII space, as opposed to the
scan code space, so we can't distinguish keypad vs normal number keys, and
various other combinations, even though osgViewer supports that.

My *personal* feeling is that unless it's something the > 50% of users use
*each flight*, it shouldn't be a keybinding. So flaps, trim, CDI/HSI heading,
fine, but things to change view distance or FoV seem unnecessary to me.

The other issue is the keybindings are effectively 'full' (we can't easily add
more), because they've been added and added over the years, but rarely removed,
so at this point every key 'does something', but often something quite obscure.

What I'd like to see is the entire 'Ctrl' (Command on Mac) space reserved for
GUI functions, like a normal application - Ctrl-Q for quit, Ctrl-M for map
dialog, Ctrl-A for autopilot dialog, Ctrl-R for replay dialog (or radios dialog
:)  - then have a complete discussion about which key-bindings make sense on
the main keyboard. This is basically a usability discussion, so everyone will
have strong opinions :)

James