On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
>> What version number will we give to the new
>> release? Are we ready for a 3.0 or is it 2.12?
>
> Looking through my list of goals for the last coding period:

I also had a look through the 3.0 backlog article
(http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_3.0_backlog), and I was
pleasantly surprised at what I was able to tick off:

- We now have a unified weather UI that is much more
usable.  Thanks to Vivian for his help on this.
- ALS is now integrated with Basic Weather.  While it can't
leverage all the features that ALS provides, it's good enough
that IMO we have now managed to make the rendering
model and weather models independent.
- ALS now works much better with the random trees.  I think
there's still work to be done with other shaders (presumably
the wake shader has still to be ported?)

So, I think we've managed to polish many of the "rough edges",
which is good.

Vivian wrote:
> A nice list and it's all worthwhile improvement, but it's all tinkering
> around the edges of existing stuff. There's no step change which would
> justify 3.0 IMO. For that we need something major, like new terrain (850) or
> Rembrandt as the default.

Perhaps we should instead look at 2.0.0 as the baseline rather than 2.10.0 and
think in terms of the maturity of the features added since that point.

With a 6 month release cycle, it's extremely unlikely we'll suddenly have a new
feature spring fully-formed in a release - instead we'll have experimental
features mature over a period of releases as we've seen with Rembrandt, canvas,
ALS.

For example, ALS is now pretty mature, and in general our eye-candy has moved
on significantly from 2.0.0 (object masking, random buildings,
regional textures etc.)

Perhaps we should do the work required to make ALS the default, and
declare that 3.0?

It's not a completely facetious question. I've been wondering whether we should
deprecate the standard rendering model (non-ALS, non-Rembrand), and instead
have ALS as the default, with a modification so that the lowest
quality level matches
the lowest quality level of the standard model.  Obviously we'd need to do some
work to port any remaining standard rendering model features (wake shader?)
across.

At higher quality levels, I don't think that the standard model is as
developed or
mature for terrain in particular, and some of the features such as the urban
shader have been rendered (pun intended) obsolete by other developments.

That would simplify matter from a user perspective, and make it easier
for them to achieve graphics similar to the screenshots we publicize.

Of course, that is a completely different approach to non-OSS software
development,
were the X.0.0 release is a bug-ridden mess and the point releases
improve quality. :)

-Stuart