From: James Turner
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2013 4:17 PM
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: [Flightgear-devel] TerraSync libSVN replacement testing

Hi,

I've pushed some code to Git, which will ultimately replace our use of
libSvn, and hence simplify build and deployment, especially on Mac and
Windows. This has an immediate benefit for end-users too: TerraSync will use
pretty much half the disk space it currently does, since unlike a real SVN
client, we don't need to keep two copies of each file locally.

In the longer term, there are many other improvements I will make - to
reduce the number of network round-trips to check directories are in sync,
to improve the interaction with the main thread so the splash screen waits
for terrasync to update a location before finalising position, and others.
These things will happen *after* 2.12, and once the code is tested
everywhere.

First, I need some help; for people to rebuild simgear
with -DSG_SVN_CLIENT=1, and mv / erase their TerraSync dir. Then simply run
FGFS as normal, as if you were starting on a new machine / account with no
previous use of TerraSync.

(Remember that TerraSync initially syncs the large Models and Airports dirs,
which takes some time - be patient. Also expect some nav-cache rebuilds
since the nav-cache will see the paths / stat-times change. This is nothing
to do with the revised code, simply what happens if you change your
TerraSync dir)

If the testing is mostly positive, I will consider making the option default
to ON for 2.12, but if people report problems (which cannot be easily
fixed!), I will be cautious and leave it OFF by default for 2.12. Soon after
2.12 branches, 'next' will be switched to using the new code exclusively.

(BTW, the option to use rsync or external, command-line svnclient still
exists, and will be retained - though I am curious if anyone still uses
those options!)

James