Hi James,

On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 16:08 +0100, James Turner wrote:
> <snip>
> I've put some cash down to buy a cheap PC box
> for running Windows+Linux so I can debug these
> issues (and a few other Windows ones which are
> bugging me).
> <snip>

This is really WONDERFUL news ;=))

MSVC has a very powerful source view level debugging,
but at present this fails in some auto-generated ctor/dtor
code before it reaches 'main()' so can not be used ;=((.

In the Debug build 'new' is replaced with a 'new_dbg'
which deliberately fills the allocation with 0xcc...
so if a person does NOT initialize ALL variables simple
dtor code like 'if (buf) delete buf;' crashes.

Further it allocate more than the memory request size
and sets up a filled-with-pattern header and tail, and
returns an off-set pointer, to completely check for
buffer under and over-run on delete.

Debug config adds a rather large prologue, and epilogue to
each function, that also fills the stack variables with
a pattern, so it can warn of things like -
void foo() {
    int i;
    if (i) do something
will warn 'i' has not been initialized... and does
a stack pointer check in the epilogue...

And LOTS more...

Of course all this add a heavy load, and the Debug
build only ever runs at about 1/10 speed, but is
excellent for debugging, provided you can get through
all the auto-c++ code and trap at main()...

And even if you get to main(), I have NEVER had a
clean Debug exit... there are many case of heap
corruption which it seems unix/linux/mac can
overlook, like they ARE also 'overlooked' in the
windows Release build!

But I am sure fgfs will run much better if we can get
rid of some of these 'hidden-from-unix' BUGS ;=))

Let me know if I can help in any way to get you
setup with a Windows box for testing, debugging ;=))

Regards,
Geoff.