Here's another idea for downloading large quantities of data.  I realize
this will not be an option for everyone, but consider going to an internet
cafe, or library, or someplace with faster internet.  Spend a couple bucks
supporting the business and hang out while your data is downloading.

Curtis Olson:
http://www.atiak.com - http://aem.umn.edu/~uav/
http://www.flightgear.org - http://gallinazo.flightgear.org