On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 13:42:06 +0200, Erik wrote in message
<522db40e.5050...@ehofman.com>:

> On 09/09/2013 12:59 PM, Renk Thorsten wrote:
> >
> > A report of performance dramatically improving for advanced weather
> > when 3d clouds are switched off in the rendering menu (you still
> > get to see 3d clouds)
> >
> > http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=16630&start=30#p189983
> >
> > I've played around with this, and I can't reproduce any significant
> > framerate difference. It is true that the cloud effect file doesn't
> > condition on the 3d cloud switch at all, so Advanced Weather
> > generates 3d clouds no matter what you select here (it can't do 2d
> > clouds at all) - which may be a little confusing, but I have no
> > good idea how to handle this gracefully. Maybe the switch should go
> > away from rendering to the Basic Weather GUI? But that's a side
> > issue.
> >
> > I have no idea where any performance increase might be coming from
> > though - as far as I know, the shaders are completely unaware of
> > this. Can anyone reproduce the finding? Stuart, any idea where this
> > could come from?
>
> I was testing anyhow so I did a quick test. I don't see any
> improvement either. What (I think) can happen is that older (fgrun)
> config files could cause bad behaviour, especially when properties
> change function between FlightGear versions (for instance the effects
> level slider).

..another test case suggestion: if you have a radeon card, pop that
in and see how it looks with that, if you don't have a radeon card,
try swap out "nvidea" for "nouveau" in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
install your distro's nouveau and libdrm-nouveau2 etc drivers
alongside your nvidea drivers and chk framerates etc there:
arnt@celsius:~$ dpkg -l |grep nouveau |fmt -tu
ii libdrm-nouveau2:amd64 2.4.46-2 amd64 Userspace interface to
   nouveau-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii xserver-xorg-video-nouveau 1:1.0.9-2 amd64 X.Org X server -- Nouveau
   display driver
arnt@celsius:~$

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: