NOTAM:

To flyers who fly 'probe' enabled aircraft in Europe... or
even if NOT...

I will be flying the 'victor' refueling tanker for the next
few days from KFPY, south 180 track, then turn around at the
southern mountains, north on 360, at 12,000 feet – FL120
STD QNA – and am interested in 'hot' flyers who want to try
air-to-air REFUELING (AAR) in suitably equiped aircraft,
well ANY aircraft...

The tanker will maintain, under autopilot, 220 knots (KTAS),
at the said 12,000 feet, either 180 or 360, under the callsign
GA006.

The flights will commence about noon, or before, UTC, and
close about 20:00 UTC.

The track can be followed using http://test.fgx.ch, or other mp
map URLS. Click on 'GA006' to localize...

Reason:

(a) I have tried with several aircraft over the last few days, and
learned that this is QUITE difficult, but I hope NOT impossible!

(b) The present suggested pps (Hz) is 10 when you set up –multiplay=,
but FG 2.11 has fill-in extrapolation code when fgfs packets
do not arrive in time, so maybe this is too high. This is the basic
question...

So the idea is to reduce this IFF this fill-in code helps, ie does its
job...

The theoretic idea is that with this code we can reduce the
bandwidth used by 10 Hz to perhaps 2-4 Hz, but this needs
to be FULLY tested, and confirmed...

Now I have tried this over several day, in several aircraft –
A-10, f-14b, a4 and failed, FAILED to touch the trailing
drogues... it is TOUGH... autopilots help you get to the 'zone'
but it needs manual flying to get to the RIGHT PLACE...

If you are using a joystick maybe you need to even adjust
the dead spot and the 'sensitivity' of the inputs... lots of
learning, understanding and doing fgdata xml changes...

And I have had a few pilots joining in ad hoc, but so far
no one has actually contacted with the trailing outer wing
drogues... The 'victor' can refuel 2 aircraft at a time... and I
would LOVE to see/capture that...

One, french I think, got so frustrated at his attempts, began firing
missiles at the tanker. Thankfully, he MISSED, but was CLOSE ;=))

Also if you alert me to your attempt to refuel from my tanker, via
mp chat, email, fgcom, … AND I am on board at the time -:

(a) I will offer a VIRTUAL bottle of good Bordeau rouge to the first
pilot who maintains drogue contact for say a minute, or more ;=))

(b) I will take some screen shots and post them.

Be warned, during a screen shots (F3), fgfs stops sending mp
packets for up to a second or so, and in the close fgfs the fill-in
(extrapolation) code is activated, with some interesting, and
sometimes quite alarming effects...

Also I have heard others mention that the live metar update can
also cause mp packet delays. The tanker will be flying under the
'Fair weather' scenario to avoid this. Maybe you should choose this
as well...

I really seek help from other pilots to analyse this multiplayer
bandwidth situation. We have chosen 10 Hz, but WHY?
Can less than 10 Hz be used with no adverse effect? That is
the BIG question...

Simply, what really is the optimum packets-per-second (pps) rate?
Maybe it changes depending on circumstances...

We know the lower the Hz the lower the bandwidth used by
FGMS servers... but can the extrapolation code fill-in for
the missing packets?

Is 10 Hz good? Should it be higher, or lower depending on
circumstance.. Lots to learn...

Of course I am sure there are OTHER ideas...

Hope you can help, and have some FUN at the same time;=)).

Look forward to seeing you on my rear view... and I will
take some pics...

Regards,
Geoff.

CC: to users list...