Thomas wrote

> > Given that (making up figures now) 99% of the FG world is
unrealistically
> almost completely barren of objects - why not just fly somewhere else,
that
> hasn't been painstakingly recreated?
> >
> > Whenever my own system is lagging a bit behind the state of the art,
that's
> exactly what I do - I don't see why other people who have invested money
in
> high-performance machines shouldn't get a chance to fly from more
realistic
> airports when we've got the rest of the world to fly from?
> >
> > If it's a major problem for you, and you really want to fly from a
particular
> airport, it's vastly easier for you to remove detail than it is for others
to add
> it...
> >
> > AJ
>
> +1
>
> And that's exactly what Jomo and I have been telling Trennor on the
forums.
> I really don't see what's so difficult about removing a line from an .stg
file. It's
> all documented on the wiki, one just has to make an effort and read it.
> Especially if you're getting a free lunch off of others hard work.
>
> That said, I second that heavy scenery should take advantage of FG's LOD
> system.
>
> I do understand that it's annoying if FG lags and you get unflyable frame
> rates. But it's impossible to come up with a single balance between detail
and
> smoothness that fits all users.

I think there are messages here though:

We do need an effective LOD system so that the user can elect to see
none/some/all of the eye-candy. I think that's in hand - but might be a
little way off. One size doesn't fit all, and we shouldn't force it down the
user's  throat.

Telling someone to go fly somewhere else isn't really a solution. Yes I know
it's true but ... it won't win FG too many friends.

We must optimise all our eye-candy - I think there's much to be done on that
- texture sizes, transparency, mesh sizes: some of our stuff isn't all that
well done.

Vivian