Well FlightGear 1.0.0 is finally out.  I built 1.0.0 with no problems on
Ubuntu 7.10.  I also built FGRUN 1.0.0 with no problems.  Generally
flying is the typical FlightGear flying, unfortunately I am not
experienced in real aircraft so I can't tell if theres any improvement
in the actual takeoff, landing and flying.  I did notice that the Golden
Gate bridge is lit up, was it not lit in 0.9.10, I thought it looked
cool at night.  Good job on the Golden Gate and other bridges.  I also
enjoyed the many new objects near KSFO.  Such as the weird looking
ground fans spinning on the ground, exhaust of some sort?  Downtown San
Fransisco looked great in the daytime.  I also noticed that different
aircraft start up on different runways nows.

Some bugs I noticed!
The default HUD is fine but the alternate civilian HUD has weird
characters where it should be giving the field of view and the frame
rate.  You can see an example here with the Avro Vulcan B2 but it
happens on all aircraft:
http://nathaniel.homier.googlepages.com/fgfs-screen-001.png
One exception is that sometimes there are no weird characters and that
area is just blank.
http://nathaniel.homier.googlepages.com/ufo-hud.png

Also I noticed that sometimes on Windows selecting the alternate
civilian HUD when flying Gerards SR-71-A Blackbird cause FlightGear to
crash and cmd saying something about HUD.cxx or something like that.
I'm at my apartment now so I can't test the windows computer for the
exact message.

Also on a resolution of 1680x1050 the default HUD is clipped at the top
so you can't see the headings numbers.  This happens with 1.0.0 and
0.9.10.  Just got this monitor and thats why I did not submit bug report
for 0.9.10

Sound can be very distorted sometimes.  Sounds like gravel sometimes.
This sound is on top of the normal engine sound.  AN2 is good example,
happens with many other aircraft too.

On some aircraft from the aircraft download page and not the default I
noticed that in windows on my moms computer that the aircraft have
normal frame rates but on my Ubuntu 7.10 computer I have frame rate of 1
fps or less.  My moms computer is Windows SP2 at 1024x768 and 2.66Ghz
with Geforce 5700 and 1GB of ram and on mine it's Ubuntu 7.10 at
1680x1050 with 3.2Ghz with Geforce 6600GT and 2GB of ram.  So you can
see I have higher rez but that don't explain it completely and the 1 fps
only happen with some aircraft.  I suspect that this has to do with the
binary nvidia blob somewhat.  In order to get good fps with troublesome
aircraft I have to setup nvidia-settings for the highest fps which make
the image look like crap as shown here:
http://nathaniel.homier.googlepages.com/wierd-clouds-heli.png
So this has to do more with the higher rez but mostly with nvidia binary
blob.
Heres my nvidia settings and my xorg.
http://nathaniel.homier.googlepages.com/nvidia-settings-rc
http://nathaniel.homier.googlepages.com/xorg.conf

Overall impressions.
Overall It don't feel or look to different from 0.9.10.  there are a few
nice little touches here and there.  The new aircraft are what really
floats my boat.  I think that you would have to be a real pilot or very
experienced virtual pilot to notice the fdm improvements.  Basically all
I notice are the slight visual improvements in the default scenery and
aircraft.  The new menu options are pretty good such as chat and my
favorite new one view selector.

Overall visually it's a very slight improvement over 0.9.10 and yes I am
aware of the fact to make it visually like X-Plane 9 or MFSX would be a
absolute fps killer, which is what I don't want.  Sound wise it's no
improvement and in my personal experience it's degraded compared with
0.9.10.  The HUD is degraded compared with 0.9.10.  loading times are
the same.  The chat and updated joystick XML are nice touches though.
Under the hood I have no comment on that as I don't know anything about
under the hood.

Anyway a lukewarm congratulation on a somewhat disappointing buggy 1.0.0
release.

Nate