On Thursday 20 December 2007 00:15:09 Frederic Bouvier wrote:
> Selon Nathaniel Homier :
> > On Dec 19, 2007 8:42 PM, Chris Hodge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > First, a great big Thank You to everyone who had anything to do with
> > > the 1.0.0 release. It looks great!
> > >
> > > However, I have a small problem. In contrast to the experience of Hal,
> > > I almost never experienced stutters with 0.9.10, but I see them quite
> > > often
> >
> > in
> >
> > > 1.0.0, especially when near the ground and when using the dynamic
> > > cockpit view. This makes takeoffs very challenging. Any ideas of how I
> > > can reduce the stutters?
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Chris
> >
> > The stutter is really horrible in 1.0.0.  Try a lower video quality
> > setting and see if that helps.  It could be poor terrain loading or
> > some internal system gone haywire.  If it's the terrain your in luck
> > probably but if it's something else your out of luck probably.
>
> Try to limit framerate by setting the /sim/frame-rate-throttle-hz property
> to 30 or 60.
>
> By command line option :
> --prop:/sim/frame-rate-throttle-hz=60
>
> or In the advanced section of fgrun :
> http://frbouvi.free.fr/flightsim/fgrun-advanced.jpg
>
> -Fred

This has come up on the list before.  There appear to be two things that users
can do that have a significant impact on the stuttering.  First in your
OpenGL settings make sure that you have Sync to VBlank turned on, X11 users
can use either nvclock or nvidia-settings for this.  This locks the OpenGL
refresh cycle to the actual physical refresh rate of the display.  Then set

 --model-hz=<your vertical refresh rate>

the value used for <your vertical refresh rate> is dependant on your display
hardware and how it is setup.  For most LCDs 60 is the correct number for
CRTs it could be anything from 40 to 120 depending on the hardware and your
video driver settings.  I suspect that the same thing is true (IE. you should
use a value that is based on your monitors refresh rate) for the
frame-rate-throttle-hz setting although I have not used this setting.  When
you do this FG will synchronize the FDM with the video refresh rate which
greatly improved the stuttering problem in 0.9.10 and 0.9.11 but did not
completely fix it.  When OpenGL and FG are setup this way it appears to
totally fix the problem in FG 1.0.0 at least for my setup.  My vertical
refresh rate is 75Hz and I see FG frame rates that are either 75
frames/second when the scenery is simple or 37 frames/second when the scenery
is more complex.   If I did not have OpenGL and FG setup this way I would see
frame rates that are much higher at some points but stuttering was a
significant issue and would at times be very bad. The main thing is that this
results in smooth video with no apparent pauses even under extreme conditions
such low level aerobatics in version 1.0.0 at least on my hardware.

Hal