On Thursday 20 December 2007 16:01:45 LeeE wrote:
> On Thursday 20 December 2007 23:54, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > * LeeE -- Friday 21 December 2007:
> > > Did you compile your own or did you
> > > download one of nVidia's modules?
> >
> > Compile. And now back at 100.14.19. (BTW: Someone complained
> > in the nvidia forum that his card fan is now running at 100%.
> > Looks like a brown-paperbag release to me. :-)
> >
> > m.
>
> Perhaps I'll give it a miss for now in that case - my 256mb 6600 is
> passively cooled - big heatsinks on both sides of the card, linked
> by a heatpipe, but no fans whatsoever.  Shame that the cpu fan
> would be effective on a heli :)
>
> LeeE

My 7950GTX did not show any signs of high heat or the fan running at high
speed.  If anything it runs cooler in FG than it did with the older drivers.
One set of "improvements" with this beta driver are in the power management
area and this likely includes things like fan speed control and such.  My
guess is that there are some bugs in the fan speed control code that result
in some cards having the fan run at full speed.   This is noisy but not
harmfull to the hardware.

I have only seen one issue so far with either 169.04 or 169.07 on my machine.
At first I thought that this was an issue wit FG 1.0.0 since I had not run FG
0.9.1x since installing 169.04.  But I now think that artifacts that I am
seeing on the panels of aircraft on the right screen of my dual monitor setup
are probably caused by these beta drivers.  Other than that these have been
working OK and the artifacts are not bad enough that I will back out to a
100.x series driver right away.

These are Beta releases and it would be odd to not run into at least some
minor bugs.  But the more people that test these and report problems the
faster we will see stable versions.  It was not that long ago that Nvidia did
not release Beta code for testing.  If that policy were in place no one
outside of Nvidia would have access to these new drivers.

The XRender improvements affect 2D rendering and this is noticeable in non-3D
apps and results in the desktop feeling overall faster.

Hal