Hi Curtis,

First I'd like to say that I admire your open mind and the tolerance you
display here. Maybe I should be a little less zealous as well :-)

But my university pays about 500 k€ each year (550 k$ !) only to be able to
use Matlab and we even have the cheap academic license ! That sometimes
irritates me ...

About Octave : the speed of both Octave and Matlab largely depends on the
Blas and Lapack libraries that sit behind the curtain. If you use a heavily
optimised Blas (like the Atlas stuff) Octave will be ways faster as well.
And ... Blas and Lapack are also Open Source ...

Using Blas and/or Lapack directly from C instead of through Matlab could be
much faster and isn't that difficult although it uses a somewhat archaic
Fortran based calling mechanism.
And another old but very good (C oriented) library for Linear Algebra is
Meschach : very intuitive and probably 5 times faster than Matlab for many
apps :-)

/***************** Meschach example : *********************/
#include <stdio.h>

#include <stdarg.h>

#include <math.h>

// This comes from the Meschach solver library :

#include "matrix.h"

#include "matrix2.h"

int main(int argc,char *argv[])

{

  MAT *A;

  MAT *LU;

  VEC *b,*x;

  PERM *pivot;

  // reserve space for the matrix equation variables :

  A = m_get(3,3);

  b = v_get(3);

  x = v_get(2);

  // Fill the known vector b and matrix A

  b->ve[0] = 1;  b->ve[1] = 2;  b->ve[2] = -1;

  A->me[0][0] = 3;   A->me[0][1] = 5;   A->me[0][2] = 2;

  A->me[1][0] = 0;   A->me[1][1] = 3;   A->me[1][2] = 4;

  A->me[2][0] = 1;   A->me[2][1] = 6;   A->me[2][2] = 4;

  // And solve the system A.x = b using the Meschach routines :

  LU = m_get(A->m,A->n);

  LU = m_copy(A,LU);

  pivot = px_get(A->m);

  LUfactor(LU,pivot);

  x = LUsolve(LU,pivot,b,VNULL);

  m_free(LU);

  px_free(pivot);

  v_output(x);

}

Also Python is definitely worth looking at : Numpy, Scipy , Sympy and
Matplotlib are just as easy to use as Matlab.

Discussion closed ?

Regards,
Kees

--
Bye,
Kees Lemmens,

BTW: Ceterum Censeo Microsoftem esse Delendam

--
Bye,
Kees Lemmens,

BTW: Ceterum Censeo Microsoftem esse Delendam

--
 C.W.J. Lemmens,
 Email: c.w.j.lemm...@tudelft.nl,

 NOTICE: to minimize spam I'll trash HTML based email immediately,
 so don't send HTML messages if you'd like me to read it !

--
With best regards,
Kees Lemmens,