On Sat, 21 May 2016 23:18:09 +0100, Viktor wrote in message
<canx-tghq-0hmy5rfztb+qefuy3yuj4zvbnr3vrdn-f-suox...@mail.gmail.com>:

> Hi Arnt,
>
> Thanks for the FPV suggestion. I have considered it before but decided
> against it. The requirement is to build a realistic two-seat ASK21

..to train instructors?  2 seats makes good sense then.
To train student pilots, you only need the students part
of the cockpit, the instructor can do the instruction over
the net like we did on the net fly-ins.  In the same room,
use a screen for every view you|the club etc wanna see,
you're only limited by the hardware you have handy. ;o)

> cockpit with linked flight controls at their correct location and
> working instrument panels.

...with tangible switches etc that you touch even in the dark.
No conflict there, fpv/vr goggles will yield even more realistic
views than your 8 screen cage, once you track your hands etc.

> With the FPV goggles I assume that you
> won't be able to see what your hands are doing, and I'm certain that
> the instructor in the back won't be able to see what the student in
> the front is doing either. These two problems make a head-mount
> display unsuitable for the club

..you of course will need to track (and show or simulate) _anything_
you wanna show on your screen(s), e.g. using web cameras to track
hands and feet, using e.g. gstreamer to overlay webcam video on FG
video, or model, track and/or simulate said hands and feet and show
everything in FG.

> but I might get one for myself at
> some point as it sounds pretty good for home use.

..the sooner the better, will help you make a better simulator. :o)

..but do try before you buy, e.g. my HPHD in a wonderful idea, 72 degree
FOV and a nice big 1280x800 screen, totally destroyed by requiring me to
squint at the screen at 22cm.
Use ~4.5+ reading glasses to focus at the horizon if you have perfect vision.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: