[STR New]

Link: http://www.fltk.org/str.php?L2083
Version: 1.3-feature

Yes, I'd agree on consistency with what's in FLTK 1.x already
when it comes to naming and int return values.

It seems the FLTK API seems to like to use set_xxx() to set something, and
xxx() to get it, eg:

    widget->set_visible();          // make it visible
    if ( widget->visible() ) { .. } // check if visible

    widget->set_changed();          // change it
    if ( widget->changed() ) { .. } // get it

    widget->set_modal();            // set it
    if ( modal() ) { .. }           // get it

So to be 'consistent', I guess that's what should be used, if that's the
doctrine to be followed. I don't think the coding standards cover this:

http://fltk.org/cmp.php

..maybe it should. But that does seem to be the dominating method naming
convention used in FLTK. (To find out, I just grepped the FL/*.H files for
'set_' vs. 'is_' and 'ed()'. Lots of hits for set_xxx(), and few at all for
is_xxx() and xxxed())

However, I do like the way the suggestions in this STR read:

    window->maximize();                   // maximize the window
    if ( window->is_maximized() ) { .. }  // check if maximized

Also, the suggestion to use -ed() seems fine for differentiating the 'get'
and 'set' methods, as long as the -ed() is only used for 'get', eg:

    window->maximize();                // maximize the window
    if ( window->maximized() ) { .. }  // check if maximized

..but again, not many precedents for either of those in FLTK, if any.

Assuming it's even possible to 'get' these minimize/maximize values. I
should point out that since these are 'hints' to the window manager, it is
possible one can't ask the window manager if the window has been
minimized/maximized().

I remember looking at some window manager code in an app that seemed to
first 'ask' if eg. minimize() function was available in the window
manager, and if not, tried to emulate it with its own code.