marty moore said:

> Hi all,
> I get the following error when trying to compile fltk3:
>
> $make
> === making src ===
> Compiling fltk3png/png.c...
> fltk3png/png.c:14:21: error: pngpriv.h: No such file or directory
> fltk3png/png.c:17: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
> ‘__attribute__’ before ‘Your_png_h_is_not_version_1_5_10’
> fltk3png/png.c:559: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
> ‘__attribute__’ before ‘PNGAPI’
> fltk3png/png.c:649: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
> ‘__attribute__’ before ‘PNGAPI’
> fltk3png/png.c:680: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
> ‘__attribute__’ before ‘PNGAPI’
> fltk3png/png.c:687: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
> ‘__attribute__’ before ‘PNGAPI’
> fltk3png/png.c:695: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
> ‘__attribute__’ before ‘PNGAPI’
> fltk3png/png.c:762: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or
> ‘__attribute__’ before ‘PNGAPI’
> make[1]: *** [fltk3png/png.o] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 1
> marty@fltk-3.0.x-r9831$
>
> I'm running debian 6.5, emacs 23, and gcc 4.4.5-1.
>
> libpng3 and libpng12-0 are installed.
>
> Anyone have any ideas??

Yes: note that fltk3 is still alpha, and is intended for experiments only at
this stage, so has a few rough edges.

What you are hitting is STR #2833 http://www.fltk.org/str.php?L2833

In summary, there is a bug in fltk3's configure mechanism such that it attempts
to build fltk's built-in PNG lib version, even if there is a system wide one
available. (The earlier fltk variants only compile the built-in PNG lib if
there is no system-wide one found...)

However, when building the built-in PNG, the system PNG headers get found
first, and they are *not* compatible (too old), and Bad Things ensue.

If you can be bothered, tweaking the paths in makeinclude so that the "correct"
set of PNG headers are found when building the local built-in PNG lib will
"fix" this.

Or, you could try configuring with --enable-local-png as I think that might
help...

Or, you could update your system PNG to something recent, and that should help
to!

Selex ES Ltd
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132