I have got a number of complains from end users how the menu items behave -
probably different than they are used to or how other toolkits behave.
The complain is that clicking on ANY item causes the whole menu to close, even
if it is:

1) A submenu. Usually submenu is just an entry point and "mouse hovering" opens
the submenu automatically, an accidental clicking on this entry point should not
close the whole menu. "Not closing" the menu would also indicate that no action
was performed and choosing particular submenu-item is required to invoke an
action

2) If menu item group is set of check-boxes (I have some application-settings
options as menu checkboxes) and user wants to change a few settings at the same
time, he/she needs to reopen the menu for each single item change. Sometimes
user re-opens the menu even for single change just to visually confirm that the
state was changed. In such a case they expect that menu closes only if you
either hit "Esc" or click menu-opening widget (menu-bar or menu-button)

My proposition would be to to have additional flag which could be OR-ed to
other menu-item flags (like FL_MENU_NOCLOSE or so) so the behaviour is
backward-compatible but the developer has better control how the menu behaves.

Roman