hello,

i can't believe i'm getting into a fluxpissing match (and over something
that could only possibly be of interest to subscribers in toronto...)

the connection to fluxus and pop music is hardly weak - the two most
influential bands in pop music had fluxus members in them! John Cale of the
Velvets contributed a film of Police Car Lights to a Fluxfest and John
Lennon contributed several works and attended festivals. Also their
connections, respectively, to La Monte Young and Yoko Ono made for an even
stronger connection/influence.

sampling and cut-n-paste rock is the aural equivalent to visual collage and
the essence of the Playing with Matches show. clearly it was also
opportunism on the part of wayne b of plug in gallery, but who cares? the
show has raised al hansens profile considerably, and that of fluxus and may
get teenagers into art galleries. none of those are bad things

when terrance said 'rock and roll is avant garde' he was being incredibly
facetious. the affectation in his voice was clear.

as for the panel defining fluxus - it wasn't supposed to and couldn't
possibly! i have corresponded with most of the main (remaining) fluxus
artists and very few still use the word to describe their work. fewer still
can articulate what fluxus was (with the notable exceptions of dick higgins
and ken friedman who both write well on the subject).

yes, snow and sook yin lee spoke about their own work rather than defining
fluxus. have you read these fluxlist digests? i've not read one that comes
close to a defination but many talk about the contributors own projects.
both the panel and the fluxlist are intended to start conversation, not be
didactic or authorative.

incidentally, most fluxus artists use the term event over happening.
happenings were messier and included several actions (often improv)
simultaneously. and event was a purer, simple gesture, like george brechts
"exit".

sure it's fun to break violins but the piece can not possibly have as much
relevance as it once did. i was more interested in jean yoons discussion of
yoko's mending pieces than in simply breaking things. or a woman who spoke
of concretism and said she was still enjoying the piece an hour later
because she could see the parts of the shattered violin.

i should add that i am a fan of beck (not the current record or tour) and i
thot some of his works for the al hansen show were decent enough, all things
considered. i noticed a richard prince influence. i am also a sonic youth
fan and an aquiantence of guitarist lee renaldo. i started him on his
something else press bookshelf a few years back. their new record is
excellent and the entire band are extemely devoted to the visual arts (as
can be seen by their collaborations with mike kelly, gerhard richter,
christian marclay, raymond pettibon, richard kern, etc).

hope i haven't come across as an ass, here.

can anyone tell me about albert fine? he is never well represented in fluxus
histories but the few things of his i've seen are excellent. funny like ray
johnson or ben vautier, i recall.