Maybe its of interest to somebody, who knows...

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Rafael Custodio de Lima wrote:

> Someone mentioned that Stockhausen disliked jazz for being a low-class
> music. I think one of the reasons he's so original(e) is the fact he was
> born poor and got in touch with the so-called high music in very late age
> (have you ever listened to Spiral!?). I'm not talking about class
> determinism but he would certainly act different if he had the tradition
> in the core of mind, like, let's say, Hindemith or even Henze and Von Bose.

My music teacher in school had studied music with him and he described him
as over pedantic. Stockhausen hated wrong notes. Sotosay the opposite of
Jazz.

What came to mind is also the critique of Jazz by Adorno. I dont think it
has anything to do with classes, those cats just didnt like that stuff (at
that time).

Heiko