In a message dated 04/22/2000 5:07:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< George et al

 It's the Cagean "depersonalization of the artist" & chance operations
 proceedures which account for this bias. Jackson MacLow's poetry is an
excellent
 example.

 RA

Ye-ah, I understand that, and I like Cage and MacLow. However, I can help but
find it so curious that when many people whose voiceshad not been well
presented (afraid to use the word represented) in art began to speak and tell
their stories and experiences and visions and have presence in the public
sphere of art, a whole movement comes along that wipes out the persona. I'm
not saying it's a conspiracy, I know that's not the case.

And I feel that Cage may have been for the depersonalization of the artist,
but still managed to do it in a way that his name is greatly bandied about
and well-known. Did he have a day job? Stuff like that interests me. If the
artist really wants to be depersonalized, let him/her get a day job in a
factory, corporation or fast food restaurant. What is the point of
depersonalizing the artist if fame and adoration is still the result, I ask
you. Be anonymous if you want depersonalization. Go on, I dare you. How about
create art anonymously, don't talk about it, and see what the CHANCES are for
fame.

I think chance operations are interesting, but only as an interesting path,
not the whole road. I'm much more interested in what attemption (rather than
intention) can accomplish. Not only in art, but in the world.

BP

BP

In a message dated 04/22/2000 5:07:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,