Come on, people.

Charlton Burch has just now spent five years developing a special issue of
his magazine. Lightworks is a unique publication, demanding, time consuming
and expensive to produce.

Posting the contents of the magazine to the web and making them available
free is hardly "free advertising" if it competes with the magazine rather
than helping create demand for copies.

As I see it, posting the complete contents of the magazine and the audio is
competition. Perhaps Charlie Burch sees it another way, and if he does,
then get his permission to post.

Until you get permission to post, Lightworks and the contents of the issue
are protected by copyright.

Lightworks and Charlton Burch are well known. In some circles, he is a
legend. He has always done an astonishing project with meticulous care for
the artistic content. He's not a major publisher -- he is an artist who
invests passion and soul in Lightworks.

There have been some lively debates on this list about moral right -- the
right of an artist to decide how his or her work will be used and displayed
-- as well as about copyright. One reason Burch invests so much time and
money in Lightworks is the care with which he develops each issue for a
specific effect, published the way he wants it to be done. Perhaps he'd
publish more often if enough subscriptions or sales made it possible, but
they don't. In the meantime, he's an independent publisher and an artist
like many people on this list. His moral right as an artist deserves
respect as a human being. His copyright as an artist and an independent
publisher demands respect under the law.

The suggestion that Lightworks be scanned and posted to the web involves
moral right and copyright. Scanning and posting the entire contents of a
publication is not advertising. It is republishing. It is inappropriate to
republish Charlton Burch's magazine until he gives permission.

If you intend to benefit Charlton Burch and Lightworks, contact him and ask
permission to scan and post.

-- Ken Friedman