Carol,
Yeah, that's a great book! And I was in NYC at the time too but
unfortunately, I was too out of it (all fucked up in art school, ironically)
back then to have been aware of those goings on. I'd also recommend (if you
haven't already read 'em) the Beuys bio. by Heiner Stachelhaus published by
Abbeville press, a small paperback life and works published (years ago) by
Barron's, and The Felt Hat, Joseph Beuys a Life Told, by Lucrezia DeDomizio
Durini published by Charta.  I've only just skimmed that last one, but
there's not a lot published in English (nothing text heavy, anyway) so I
rather grab anything that shows up.

My, my, all these discussions of who's FLUXUS and who's not really, truly,
FLUXUS.  Does it matter?  Should I care?  As long as the work
produced...uh...you know...works, isn't that enough?  Clearly there were
many overlapping themes in the work of Beuys, "genuine" Flux talent, and
other artists who might not have actually met REAL flux artists but were
clearly drawing from the same well.

Don't ask if it's real, ask if it works.
(then sign it, copy it, and send out documention--hee-hee)

out of mind/out of time

BadgerGirl