 Etymology: Latin, course of (one's) life
 Date: 1902
 : a short account of one's career and qualifications prepared typically by an applicant for a position
(http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary)

&

dictionary.com says:

1.cur·ric·u·lum vi·tae (k-rky-lm vt, vt, k-rk-lm wt)
   n., pl. cur·ric·u·la vi·tae (-l.) Abbr. CV
                A summary of one's education, professional history, and job qualifications, as for a prospective employer.
   [Latin the race of life: curriculum, course + vitae, genitive of vita, life.]

2.curriculum vitae n : a summary of your academic and work history [syn: resume]
(http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=curriculum%20vitae)

My thoughts are that not many people have only one CV (or résumé, or whatever).
But rather, since an artist's CV is always developing, it can be seen as temporary...
and also as audience specific.

Is there a specific reason for putting the thing together? if it is not for a specific person or event,
then there is always at least an imagined ideal audience. otherwise, why commit the
communicative act of making a CV available in the first place?

Once the intended audience is more clear, it might also be more clear (hopefully)
which projects would be appropriate to present on the CV you make available to that audience.
A CV, like other auto-promotional devices, is a networking, but also a narrative, tool
for the presentation of self. it is a balance between what a person would like to present themselves as,
and what they believe they can get away with presenting themselves as. sometimes it can be
helpful in either figuring out, or articulating, a person's presented self-image. in this sense, a CV
can also be seen as a construction, both of the document itself and of the documenter.

Putting together a CV is a means to accomplish a goal, to communicate a message about
ourselves to others, but writing the CV itself is also one of the many languaging acts through
which we construct our identities as employees, as writers, as academics, as artists, and/or whatever.

the whole question is, how do you want to sell yourself? or show yourself, or narrate your self image
to the audience(s) you have in mind? and then each CV should include the experiences, accomplishments,
activities (etc.) that describe the version of yourself (or character) you want to depict (and create).
there's nothing wrong with excluding the things (for now) that don't fit.
everyone does more than they choose to take credit for at each specific occasion (such as on a CV),
and everyone is expected to exaggerate the qualities (etc) that they want to highlight.

once this kind of thing is accepted by the person writing the CV (& not necessarily by those reading it),
then this can be used to the writer's advantage. one major part of the job description for artists of the last
century has been to 'reveal' the constructed nature of nearly everything in their culture, especially
those conventions which can be seen as problematic or limiting in one way or another.
the CV itself would probably be an interesting place to reveal it's constructed nature, in the form of an
artwork... but something like this might come off as reflecting only the artist personally, rather than the
practice as a whole. It is at least partly for this reason that most artists who want any support from
the world around them tend to use their CV's for their own purposes, as I mentioned above, and save
the deconstructing for other cultural phenomena... less close to home.

most of this is probably obvious, and some of it might sound a bit cynical. but I don't think
all of it is. either way, I'm probably just using this as a distraction from all of the work I have to do today.
I have a wedding to co-assemble, remember?  yes, time is drawing near... I should get back to it.

p.s. do you still want to meet in venice?

sincerely,
Scott

-
BaseKamp Site
215.592.7288
723 chestnut st
second floor
phila pa 19106
http://www.basekamp.com/

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:

hi all!

just a quick query, if i wanted to do a sort of cv ov my 'art' (and i
use the term very loosely) based stuff -
what form should it take?

a list of performances and projects undertaken, installations etc -
like the big stuff...

or  a list of everything ?

what do i leave in and leave out?

HELP!!(please)

Also did anyone bother with the 4am poetry page?
just that my italian friends have been asking - they were very chuffed
with their "english" poetry - it was an interesting evening.  has
anyone else seen the fridge poetry packs you can buy?
you can waste hours sitting in front of the fridge!

maybe i should just get out more eh?

bests
alan