Well, some people working within the network had some of these attitudes. Some not. None of them had all of them. Many people working outside the network had many of them. Some all.

Reed Altemus wrote:

 Well, like the attitude that once you have an approach to a problem, you then thinkof something else, a different approach, an alternative, instead. To me that is a very Fluxusattitude. Or the attitude that every person has something to offer, everyone is an artist, ofnon-elitist art, to me that also is a very Fluxus attitude. Or the attitude that tedious or boringart is OK. That also is to me a Fluxus attitude. Or the attitude that art is experimental and all the resultsare interesting. A Fluxus attitude also. I'm not saying this has anything to do with me, per se,just that these are some things I've observed about Fluxus. RA What do you mean by attitude? Which attitude?

 Reed Altemus wrote:
 Hey, you're the one who brought up the "definition" problem, not me! Thought you weregonna slip that past me eh? No, of course no one defined Fluxus, from what I understandthe less defined it was the harder it was for anyone to coopt it- for me it remains an attitude,not an ism. I think George Brecht once said "Everybody has their own idea of what Fluxusis. That way it will take longer for them to bury us." So no, it is not so strange to me that thereis no definition of Fluxus. RA Of course, nobody defined it. Why is that so strange?

 Reed Altemus wrote:

Secondly, George Maciunas did certainly not define Fluxus.

To which I would reply: neither did or do you, Mr. Anderson, sir. In certain areas he

defined it well enough for me.

RA

Reed Altemus wrote:

 Hey Eric,
members that none of the original artists from the Flux festivalsconsidered KenFriedman to be an artist. We all saw him as an agent and promoter. Andmost of Did it ever occur to you that some people on the list don't give a flying fuckwhat "the original artists from the Flux festivals" think?  In addition, what the hell havethe original aritstsfrom the Flux festivals ever done for me (besides, in your case,parading a kind of juvenile popularity contest on this list which I find very amusingconsidering that it was Ken and Dick Higgins who, with others, started the list)So Ken Friedman is a sociologist and not an artist, what's the big deal? Since I've foundhis past activities under the Fluxus banner interesting, why should I feel a need foryour or anyone else's "Fluxus" seal of approval. Besides, Eric, it was Maciunas whosaid that t! ! ! ! ! ! he artist should eventually be replaced by the Fluxworker, someone who hasemployment in another field (like sociology or folklorism or whatever) but who does Fluxus asan avocation. Artists were to be retrained for socially constructive rather than parasitic work. RA
--- Reed Altemus--- [EMAIL PROTECTED]--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.