in the email today....

<http://www.heidelberg.org/>http://www.heidelberg.org/

June 7th, 2003

The Heidelberg Project is
makin' ChaNge

Join us as we kick off the de-construction of the world famous OJ House with an auction like youve never seen before! Its a chance to buy a piece of Detroit history and invest in the future at the same time.
* looking back...
In 1995 internationally acclaimed artist, Tyree Guyton transformed an entire house on Heidelberg Street into a statement on the misplaced priorities of our society. The house served as a powerful reminder that our obsession with sensationalism often prevents us from dealing with real issues. Obstruction of Justice, known as "the OJ House", continued to evolve and was featured in films, books, magazines and newspapers around the world. Over 250,000 visitors came to see it in person each year.
* looking forward...
In 2003 The OJ House will be reborn as the House that Makes Sense - the next step in our plan for community revitalization. Selected elements of this powerful work will be auctioned right off the house as Tyree Guyton removes them from their place in his composition. The remaining items will be carefully removed at a later date to make way for the new exterior made of pennies. Thats right, the House that Makes Sense will literally be covered in pennies! The inside of the house will be renovated to become a community center featuring a children's gallery, visiting artist studio, library and more.
* when and where...
Saturday, June 7th, 1pm - 5pm - admission is FREE

Heidelberg Street (3 blocks S. of Mack, between Mt. Elliot and Gratiot). The Heidelberg Project block will be closed to traffic but parking will be available on both corners. see <http://www.heidelberg.org/map.html>map for details.

Buy a piece of Detroit History and Invest in the Future at the same time! Join us on June 7th, 2003 as we auction selected items right off the OJ house! Details on our events page!!!!

Spring 2003
A new beginning as the OJ House becomes "The House That Makes Sense"

Obstruction of Justice in its current state (photo on left) serves only as a visual symbol of what our work is all about. Now, we must take it a step further with a complete renovation, inside and out.

The inside of the house will feature a children's gallery, studio for visiting artist, a library and general office space.

The artifacts on the outside of the house will be removed and take on a new artistic design. The outside of the OJ House will be covered in pennies and renamed, the House that makes Sense. Artists, children, residents and anyone else will be invited to share in the creation of "The House that Makes Sense."

The work on Heidelberg Street by Tyree Guyton and Co has inspired folks from all over the world. The Heidelberg Project now owns property on Heidelberg Street which insures our future. What this means is that we are now in a position to take the Heidelberg Project to the next level. The next level is the transformation of one of the most powerful structures on Heidelberg Street, Obstruction of Justice (OJ House).

We suggest that you read a very inspiring children's book called the Big Orange Splot. This animated and delightful story will immediately remind you of the Heidelberg Project. More importantly, you will be reminded that all things are possible!

"I've always felt that when you completely lose that childlike quality, you lose something magical--your possibility of creation.

Tyree Guyton

"A project such as this is sure to bring out the best in everyone"

Jenenne Whitfield