Yes indeed I do. Every now and then the urge to paint something hits and the studio has yet one more canvas taking up space and depressing me by its presence there. The odd piece that I sell provides some gratification for a moment or two until I remember that it was purchased only to cover a hole in the wall somewhere.

I am working hard at sticking to zeros and ones (or to mail art/card-sized art when the urge for physicality becomes overwhelming).

Allan

From: owner-FLUXLIST@scribble.com [mailto:owner-FLUXLIST@scribble.com] On Behalf Of Rod Stasick
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 11:28 AM
To: FLUXLIST@scribble.com
Subject: Re: FLUXLIST: Book 2 - #100 - 9/24/2004 11:07 AM

Returning to Cecil...

The physical dependance drives me cRaZy - mostly with music -

my mind telling me that there's more than enuf sound on the web and the non-physical elsewhere to keep my fascinations ringing for the eternities after the honeymoon, but as stuff goes out the back door in almost trapezoid strictness, the squall-fed label profiteers paratroop onto my front lawn and queue up at the front, BUT, it soon becomes "0"s and "1"s - same with words, documents, and bits of detritus found in the garden (like this old "Pop Rocks" wrapper - both sides):

They become jumping off points for higher elements of creative work,

but not necessarily in physical form.

So, the question really becomes: To you, how important is the physicality of artwork - that you need to have it around you? It seems to me that these large scale works can't really be turned into "0"s and "1"s (except thru documentation, I suppose).

Do those of you who create physical artworks on a larger scale

(canvas, sculpture) have the problem of having too much creat(ed/ive) work. around the studio? Yes, of course, you want to sell stuff, but what of the stuff that you can't sell? Is there a "past-it's-sell-by-date" at some time where it's documented then discarded?

Rod

---

Now playing:  Agitation Free - Sahara City