Owen-

When/how will this be published? I went to the Visible Language website, but didn't find info about it.

Reid

Reid Wood (State of Being)
"Haven't-Garde Art"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://havent-gardeart.blogspot.com

On May 1, 2006, at 10:17 PM, Owen Smith wrote:

OK - I guess I have been lurking long enought and should respond to the querry. Ken Friedman and I just finished a double set of issues of the journal Visible Language. The first is Fluxus and Legacy. The second is Fluxus after Fluxus.

This is the official version of the two issues:

Fluxus and Legacy examines the relationship between Fluxus and
a range of artistic and art historical concerns -- including the
question of historical consciousness in the work of specific artists.
Contributors include Bertrand Clavez on the relationship
of Fluxus to the artistic practice of recent decades, Ina Blom
on the historiographic dialectic of Ben Vautier's signature, and
a special collection of conversations and notes by children of the
Fluxus artists compiled by Hannah Higgins (herself a "Fluxkid").
Owen Smith examines Fluxus and learning strategies, and the issue
ends with an inquiry into historiography and legacy by Smith and
Ken Friedman.

Fluxus after Fluxus examines the relationship of younger artists
to the Fluxus work. Contributors include Anne Klefstad on the
difficult question of legacy, Celia Pearce on games as art and the
aesthetics of play, and a dozen contemporary artists on their view
of -- and relation to -- Fluxus. In addition, Lisa Moren has
organized a special collection of event scores titled Keep Walking
Intently, blending traditional Fluxus scores with parallel works
by other artists and an introduction by Ina Blom. Additionally there
is a selection 10 artists' statgements on the importnace of fluxus
for their work and ideas in contemporary practice. In the introduction, Friedmand and Smith discuss the dialectics of legacy, and Ken problematizes
the question of legacy in a bibliographic essay on the literature of
Fluxus that accompanies a selective bibliography on Fluxus from
1961 to 2004.

Additionally if you Jelena (of anyone else) is interested I will be happy to send yo and essay I wrote in the mid 90s about what I called the fluxus world view (it was origianally published in the catalog Fluxus Virus). Since it is long and amnot sure that it is righ to send it to the list directly just send me you email off list and I will send it as an attachment. Here is a brief selection of the introduction of the essay:

Playing with Difference: Fluxus as a World View.

A consideration of Fluxus on the basis of identifiable visual distinctions (the use of collage/assemblage, a design sensibility, or a particular form of a work) or even seeming conceptual coherencies fails to recognize the more fundamental change in thinking: Fluxus no longer requires clarity of concept or purpose as it relates to communication. This can be most generally seen in the processes of creation in which Fluxus participates. These processes illustrate and enact the diacritical workings of communication (in art, language, music, etc); the joining of disparate elements from within established meanings (and in relation to expected actions) to create new and unexpected meanings and awarenesses. In Fluxus, processes are enacted to establish multiple possibilities and not set new transcendent orders or associations and thus Fluxus might seem to contain patterns of the absence or the ambiguity of meaning. To more fully recognize the nature of past Fluxus actions and even the possibilities for future actions I attempt to offer here a series of related ideas that can inform one as to the conceptual field in which Fluxus operates.1

Fluxus is by nature anti_reductivist, for it does not seek the illumination of some end or fact but celebrates the participation in a non_hierarchal density of experience. In this way Fluxus does not refer to a style or even a procedure as such but to the presence of a total of social activities. The attempt to place Fluxus in history falls into the positivist (in the sense that human knowledge derives from systematic study) as well as art historical trap of defining the presence of something by divining the presence of a core, whether it be of ideas, people or activities. Thus as the debate rages as to who was part of Fluxus and who wasn't, or when and where Fluxus existed, one of the most central and crucial aspects of Fluxus is often disregarded. Although some trace of Fluxus does exist in what was done and who did it, such a narrow view obscures the key to Fluxus, that which I call a world view.

Owen

FLUXLIST@scribble.com writes:

you can also check on Hannah Higgins books and/or Owen Smith.