It seems to run fine using the cold start option.
The run crashed after a period of time, but I think it was
due to memory limitation on the machine I'm using for testing.

When you say a file mismatch, do you mean the cpio archive
of initial conditions are big-endian rather than little-endian?
I just tried another run, this time with cpio doing byte swapping
while reading in from the archive.  The run ended quickly with a
floating point exception that I haven't yet tracked down.  The
bgrid_prog_var.res file that was created still doesn't contain
the "restart format" string.

Thanks,

Norm