Hi Duncan

The short answers to these questions have already been given a few times on
this list. But let me try another direction to approach this.

The first thing to notice about the overlapping windows interface "personal
computer experience" is that it is logically independent of the code/processes
running underneath. This means (a) you don't have to have a single religion
"down below" (b) the different kinds of things that might be running can be
protected from each other using the address space mechanisms of the CPU(s), and
(c) you can think about allowing "outsiders" to do pretty much what they want
to create a really scalable really expandable WWW.

If you are going to put a "browser app" on an "OS", then the "browser" has to
be a mini-OS, not an app.

But "standard apps" are a bad idea (we thought we'd gotten rid of them in the
70s) because what you really want to do is to integrate functionality visually
and operationally using the overlapping windows interface, which can safely get
images from the processes and composite them on the screen. (Everything is now
kind of "super-desktop-publishing".) An "app" is now just a kind of integration.

But the route that was actually taken with the WWW and the browser was in the
face of what was already being done.

Hypercard existed, and showed what a WYSIWYG authoring system for end-users
could do. This was ignored.

Postscript existed, and showed that a small interpreter could be moved easily
from machine to machine while retaining meaning. This was ignored.

And so forth.

19 years later we see various attempts at inventing things that were already
around when the WWW was tacked together.

But the thing that is amazing to me is that in spite of the almost universal
deployment of it, it still can't do what you can do on any of the machines it
runs on. And there have been very few complaints about this from the mostly
naive end-users (and what seem to be mostly naive computer folks who deal with
it).

Some of the blame should go to Apple and MS for not making real OSs for
personal computers -- or better, going the distance to make something better
than the old OS model. In either case both companies blew doing basic
protections between processes.

On the other hand, the WWW and first browsers were originally done on
workstations that had stronger systems underneath -- so why were they so blind?

As an aside I should mention that there have been a number of attempts to do
something about "OS bloat". Unix was always "too little too late" but its one
outstanding feature early on was its tiny kernel with a design that wanted
everything else to be done in "user-mode-code". Many good things could have
come from the later programmers of this system realizing that being careful
about dependencies is a top priority. (And you especially do not want to have
your dependencies handled by a central monolith, etc.)

So, this gradually turned into an awful mess. But Linus went back to square one
and redefined a tiny kernel again -- the realization here is that you do have
to arbitrate basic resources of memory and process management, but you should
allow everyone else to make the systems they need. This really can work well if
processes can be small and interprocess communication fast (not the way Intel
and Motorola saw it ...).

And I've also mentioned Popek's LOCUS system as a nice model for migrating
processes over a network. It was Unix only, but there was nothing about his
design that required this.

Cutting to the chase with a current day example. We made Etoys 15 years ago so
children could learn about math, science, systems, etc. It has a particle
system that allows many interesting things to be explored.

Windows (especially) is so porous that SysAdmins (especially in school
districts) will not allow teachers to download .exe files. This wipes out the
Squeak plugin that provides all the functionality.

But there is still the browser and Javascript. But Javascript isn't fast enough
to do the particle system. But why can't we just download the particle system
and run it in a safe address space? The browser people don't yet understand
that this is what they should have allowed in the first place. So right now
there is only one route for this (and a few years ago there were none) -- and
that is Native Client on Google Chrome.

 But Google Chrome is only 13% penetrated, and the other browser fiefdoms don't
like NaCl..... Google Chrome is an .exe file so teachers can't download it (and
if they could, they could download the Etoys plugin).

Just in from browserland ... there is now -- 19 years later -- an allowed route
to put samples in your machine's sound buffer that works on some of the
browsers.

Holy cow folks!

Alan