Below:)

On Jun 5, 2011, at 11:19 PM, "C. Scott Ananian" <csc...@laptop.org> wrote:

> I explored this idea a bit once upon a time in the context of Java:
>  http://cscott.net/Publications/design.pdf
> The bibliography cites most of the related work I know about.
>  --scott

Reading it now -- thanks for sharing this.

I remember feeling so fascinated when I heard people talking about JavaOS on a
chip; while I was aware of people jamming whole operating systems into ROM, the
idea of an OS written mostly in a high level language by itself was completely
new to me then (I was in highschool, I had only just secured Internet access
for the first time) and it was just so compelling... "You can do that??" was
what I remember thinking, "wait, how's that work... Oh I don't even care,
forget about this manual memory management thing then! May I have a triple tall
mocha with no whip? And do you do those in bulk orders?"

It's a shame that it took me so many years to find Smalltalk.

Sometimes I wish I could go back in time just to point myself at things. I may
not have listened to future-me then, though, so I suppose the real lesson is to
remember that I probably don't know anything of import even now, and that the
best ideas I've got presently are likely to find hard judgement in my own
eventual hindsight.