Hahaha, this is it exactly!

Perpendicular, but a poignant friend/mentor of mine said "real software
engineering hasn't emerged because there aren't enough people dying yet."

He said that after I made my bid on what the difference is. My angle was: the
difference between software and engineering is just that when the real bridge
you designed falls over with people on it, you probably won't work again,
whereas in software we just apologize to the users and just ship a nice hotfix
for them.

In any event it seems that he and I agree that the difference is usually one of
consequence, or lack thereof.

I must tip my hat, however, to Alan's argument that we haven't even found our
arches yet. This just resonates with me, especially after stomaching all of
this best-practice-as-religion crap in industry; I really want more evidence
that we haven't got a clue what we're doing yet, because it would be lovely to
dispel the myth that we do.