On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 9:36 PM, C. Scott Ananian <csc...@laptop.org> wrote:

> This is discussed in the paper(s).  Closed/open types can be
> considered part of the type system, in which case they are perfectly
> compatible with plugins.

If you make it an explicit part of the type system, I could see that
working, but it's also an extra concept for developers to struggle with.
I've tried a few language designs with open functions and data types, but
ended up rejecting the technique to improve composition. Open/closed
*analysis* is not such an easy task in an open system.

Anyhow, I agree that there are plenty of optimizations available. But I
don't believe we can replace a true/false/nil method invocation with a
specialized bytecode in a typical open system.