Which, if you look carefully at the paper, you will see that "differential
relationships" is just what we did teach the children a few months before doing
the ball drop experiment.

This is very powerful when you have a computer because you can go directly at
the relationships and let the computer do the incremental additions that
perform the integrations. This gets at the heart of what calculus is actually
about (and of course it is what Babbage aimed at with his first difference
engine).

Both Newton and Einstein liked the idea of exploring mathematical relationships
first, because they form a basis (and a language) for helping to think about
and articulate what one might be observing.

The nice thing is that children can readily deal with 1st and 2nd order
differences and their calculations, and this covers a lot of the practical
calculations of elementary Galilean and Newtonian physics.

Underneath every Etoy object is a turtle, and a turtle is a vector (and there
are vector math operations between objects lurking in the Etoys viewers). But
this problem is one dimensional, and even simple 2D followons such as rolling a
ball off a table, "shoot the alien" etc can easily be handled informally and
also acted out with the children's bodies, etc.

Cheers,

Alan