What would a blimp look like as it floats through this invisible matrix?
Could you ensure it is artifact free? Could you fire your canon at it from a
different room? Consider the possibility of a very large blimp (a bunch of
participants might be wining and dining up there).

I don't believe you'll need something 'completely different' from TeaTime.
You are clever. You will find workarounds, if you look for them. Consider,
instead, the possibility of 'TeaTime + careful discipline'. If you can
localize interactions, bound them to just a few cells in the matrix, you can
keep synchronization costs to a reasonable level - but this will cost you
expressiveness. Careful applications of idempotence and commutativity can
save you a lot of efforts by supporting 'eventual consistency' and reducing
the need for strict ordering of events within a time-slice - i.e. you can
find disciplined ways to weaken the transactions necessary (and thus improve
performance) - but this would require more careful expression of many
algorithms. Motion of objects (non-characters) through cells will be a
challenge to model, especially if they have dependencies (references) to
other objects in the environment.  Autonomous objects raise their own
challenges (Grab your rifles, men, we're going after that mutant kangaroo.
It's somewhere in this matrix.)

What "federated worlds" really means: you have many *independent* developers
linking their worlds together. At the Internet scale, this might mean *
millions* of concurrent developers, the way we have billions of web-pages
today. To ask a million developers to be 'disciplined' would be optimistic.
Even asking them to be 'benign' would be ineffective. A million developers
will have almost a million agendas. At large scales, discipline and security
must be systematic, and on the path of least resistance. The win is
commensurate with the challenge - rich content and relationships, secure
business integration, augmented reality, and a cloud of
not-entirely-trustworthy compute resources available for competitive prices
with an e-purse (but not every computation needs trust). This is part of
what I aim to achieve with RDP.

So long as your world is built by yourself or a small group, you can achieve
the discipline necessary to make TeaTime or a minor variation work at scale.
You can even allow some user-generated content, if you carefully control its
construction or at least limit damage.

Regards,

Dave