On 8/17/2011 6:41 PM, Alan Kay wrote:
Take a look at Landin's papers and especially ISWIM ("The next 700 programming languages")

You don't so much want to learn Lisp as to learn "the idea of Lisp"

now, I am wondering some what is exactly "the idea of Lisp"?

putting the phrase into Google doesn't seem to turn up many obvious candidates.

a guess: only a few syntax elements and types can represent a large variety of stuff (like, the world can be built up from a reasonably simple core).

tried to make other guesses, but none really seem to stick.

maybe also "code is data" and a few other things.

(sorry, I tend to be a bit literal-minded and am not always so good at figuring out things like this).

actually, it is sort of like the task of trying to write out a spec for a high-level overview of my object system and core typesystem and semantics. one has a sense of what it is, but trying to effectively explain it is difficult. basic idea: class-instance + dynamic extension + delegation + scopes-are-objects + ...

sorry, I don't mean to make my stuff seem overly important, even if I am prone to write about it a lot.

Cheers,

Alan