I disagree with this assertion: "we will need to embrace a style of
programming without any synchronization whatsoever."

Rather, synchronization will just shift from the physical domain (e.g.
compare-and-swap, data races on the network or bus) to the logical domain
 (e.g. temporal semantics, consistency through commutativity and logical
monotonicity). This essentially means trading memory for parallelism and
performance.

Berkeley's Order of Magnitude project (BOOM) and my own work on RDP are
examples of effectively supporting logical synchronization. But there are a
lot of precedents, e.g. regarding various `synchronous programming` models.

* http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4162
* http://awelonblue.wordpress.com/2011/10/06/vat-model-for-rdp/

I also expect we'll shift latency into the logical domain.

Regards,

Dave