On 3/8/2012 7:51 AM, David Corking wrote:
BGB said:
by contrast, a wiki is often a much better experience, and similarly allows
the option of being presented sequentially (say, by daisy chaining articles
together, and/or writing huge articles). granted, it could be made maybe a
little better with a good WYSIWYG style editing system.

potentially,  maybe, something like MediaWiki or similar could be used for
fiction and similar.
Take a look at both Wikibooks and the booki project (which publishes
flossmanuals.net)

so, apparently, yes...

a mystery is why, say, LCD panels can't be made to better utilize ambient
light
Why isn't the wonderful dual-mode screen used by the OLPC XO more widely used?

it is a mystery.

seems like it could be useful (especially for anyone who has ever tried to use a laptop... outside...). back-lights just can't match up to the power of the sun, as even with full brightness, ambient background light makes the screen look dark (a loss of color is a reasonable tradeoff).

my brother also had a "Neo Geo Pocket", which was a handheld gaming device which was usable in direct sunlight (because it used reflection rather than a backlight).

apparently, there is also a type of experimental LCD which pulls off color without using a color mask, which could also be nifty if combined with the use of reflected light.

personally, I would much rather have an LCD than an electronic paper display, given a device with an LCD could presumably also be used as a computer of some sort, without very slow refreshing. like, say, a tablet style thing which is usable in direct sunlight. likewise, ones' e-books can be PDF's (vs some obscure device-specific format).

the one area I think printed books currently have a slight advantage (vs
things like Adobe Reader and similar), is the ability to quickly place
custom bookmarks (would be nice if one could define user-defined bookmarks
in Reader, and if it would remember wherever was the last place the user was
looking in a given PDF).
Apple Preview, and perhaps other PDF readers, already do this.

except, like many Apple products, it is apparently Mac only...

it seems like an obvious enough feature, but Adobe Reader doesn't have it.
I haven't really though to check if there were other PDF viewers that could do so.

Have fun! David