Here's the real naive question...

I'm fuzzy about why objects should receive messages but not send them. I think
I can see the mechanics of how it might work, I just don't grok why it's
important.

What motivates? Are we trying to eliminate the overhead of ST-style message
passing? Is publish/subscribe easier to understand? Does it lead to simpler
artifacts? Looser coupling? Does it simplify matters of concurrency?

I feel like I'm still missing a pretty important concept, but I have a feeling
that once I've grabbed at it, several things might suddenly fit and make sense.