John Zabroski <johnzabro...@gmail.com> writes:

> Folks,
>
> Arguing technical details here misses the point. For example, a
> different conversation can be started by asking Why does my web
> hosting provider say I need an FTP client? Already technology is way
> too much in my face and I hate seeing programmers blame their tools
> rather than their misunderstanding of people.
>
> Start by asking yourself how would you build these needs from scratch
> to bootstrap something like the Internet.
>
> What would a web browser look like if the user didnt need a seperate
> program to put data somewhere on their web server and could just use
> one uniform mexhanism? Note I am not getting into "nice to have"
> features like resumption of paused uploads due to weak or episodic
> connectivity, because that too is basically a technical problem -- and
> it is not regarded as academically difficult either. I am simply
> taking one example of how users are forced to work today and asking
> why not something less technical. All I want to do is upload a file
> and yet I have all these knobs to tune and things to "install" and
> none of it takes my work context into consideration.

There are different problems.

About the tools and mechanisms, and their multiplicity, it's normal to
have a full toolbox.  Even with evolving technologies some tools are
used less often, each has its specific use and they're all useful.

Also, the point of discrete tools is that they're modular and can be
combined to great effect by a competent professionnal.  You wouldn't
want to dig all the holes with the same tool, be it either a spoon or a
caterpillar.

Now for the other problem, the "users", one cause of that problem is the
accessibility and openess of computer and software technology, which
doesn't put clear boundaries between the "professionnals" and the
"customers".  There're all shades of grays, amateurs, students and D.I.Y
in between.

But you're perfectly entitled to have expectations of good service and
ease of use.  You only need to realize that this will come with a cost,
and it won't be cheap.

Basically, your choice is between:

- here, we have a toolbox, we will gladly lend it to you so you can have
  fun hacking your own stuff.

- tell us what you want, we'll work hard to provide you the easy
  service, and we'll send you the bill.

(ok, there are intermediary choices, but you can basically classify each
offer between a do-it-yourself solution and a everything-s-done-for-you
one).

However the difficulties of the later option is that things evolve so
fast that we may not have the time to develop affordable fine tuned
customer oriented solutions before they become obsolete.  Developing and
refining such services takes time, and money.

And in general, programmers are not paid well enough.

Just compare the hourly wages of a plumber and a computer programmer,
and you'll understand why you don't get the same easy service from
programmers than what you get from plumbers.   But this is a problem
easily solved: just put the money on the table, and you'll find
competent programmers to implement your easy solution.

But it seems customers prefer crappy service as long as it's cheap (or
"free").