It always seems to be that each new generation of programmers goes straight for
the low-hanging fruit, ignoring that most of it has already been solved many
times over. Meanwhile the real problems remain. There has been progress, but
over the couple of decades I've been working, I've always felt that it was '2
steps forward, 1.999999 steps back".

Paul.