Yes, uni-directional is simpler than bi-directional.  The web doesn't
require configuration?  You've got to be kidding.  That's what juju charms
are for.  I think minimal configuration on the client-side is what you are
referring to.  I don't recall any client-side gopher configuration besides
installing the software.  I also view typing in URLs as "configuration."

I've had my own experience working with a API for doing distributed forms
(over TCP/IP).   IME, an API is easier to deal with, once the
infrastructure is debugged.  I was working on providing a non-distributed
version, so I had to work with the infrastructure.

Getting through firewalls is another matter, and probably why everyone
focuses on doing stuff over port 443 or 80.  Otherwise, we would be doing
something like RMI.  Has anyone got experience with RMI over HTTP?

John