Thanks for the book reference, I'll check it out

I guess my question mostly relates to whether or not learning more
> languages than one, (perhaps when one gets to about three different
> languages to some level of proficiency and deep study), causes one to form
> a pre/post-linguistic awareness as I referenced in my original post.

Hmm.. I probably fit the criteria of multiple languages. I tried to expose
myself to different language families, so I have Slavic, Germanic, Asiatic,
and Arabic familiarity to various degrees (sorry if those aren't correct
groupings :D). I'm fluent in only two, but both of those were learned as a
kid.

I haven't thought about what you're describing. Perhaps it was the
fish-thinking-about-water phenomenon? I assumed that everyone thinks in
free form and then solidifies it into language when necessary for clarity
or communication. However, I do recall my surprise at experiencing first
hand all the different grammar structures that still allow people to
communicate well. From what I can tell about my thoughts, there's
definitely some abstraction going on, where the thought comes before the
words, and then the word shuffle needs to happen to fit the grammar
structure of the language being used.

So there appear to be at least two modes I think in. One being almost
intuitive and without form, the other being expressed through language.
(I've written poetry that other people liked, so I'm ok at both). However,
I thought that the free form thought had more to do with being good at
mathematics and the very abstract thought that promotes. I didn't link it
to knowing multiple languages.

So what about mathematical thinking? It seems it does more for my abstract
thinking than multiple languages. Trying to imagine mathematical
structures/concepts that are often impossible to present in the solidity of
the real world did more for me "loosening" my thought boundaries and
abandoning language structure than any language I learned as far as I can
tell.

Mathematics can also be considered a language. But there are also different
mathematical languages as well. I experienced this first hand. Perhaps I'm
not as smart as some people, but the biggest mental challenge, and one I
had to give up on to maintain my sanity (literally), was learning physics
and computer science at the same time and for the first time. It was
overwhelming. Where I studied it, physics math was all continuous
mathematics. In contrast, Computer Science math was all discrete
mathematics. On a physics quiz, my professor did a little extra credit, and
asked the students to describe how they would put together a model of the
solar system. Even though the quiz was anonymous, he knew exactly who I
was, because I was the only one to describe an algorithm for a computer
simulation. The others described a mechanical model. There was also
something very weird that was happening to my brain at the time. The
cognitive dissonance in switching between discrete and continuous math
paradigms was overwhelming, to the point where I ended up picking the
discrete/computer science path and gave up on physics, at least while an
undergrad.

I don't think knowing only one language is "bad". It's sort of like saying,
oh, you're only a doctor, and you do nothing else. However, there appears
to be something to knowing multiple languages.

Part of the reason why I mentioned the metaphor stuff in the first place,
is because it resonates with me in what I understand about how the human
neocortex works. The most compelling explanation for the neocortex that I
found is Jeff Hawkins' Hierarchical Temporal Memory model. A similar
concept also came up in David Gelenter's "Mirror Worlds". And that is, in
very general terms, that our neocortex is a pattern recognition machine
working on sequences in spatial and temporal neuron activation. There is
nothing in it at birth, and over our lifetimes, it fills up with memories
of more and more complex and abstract sequences. Relating this back to our
language discussion, with that as the background, it seems intuitive that
knowing another language, i.e. memorizing a different set of sequences,
will enable different patterns of thought, as well as more modes of
expression.

As to building a series of tiny LISPs. I see that as being similar as
arguing for knowing only one family of languages. We would be missing
entire structures and modes of expression by concentrating only on LISP
variants, would we not? The Actor Model resonates deeply with me, and
sometimes I have trouble explaining some obvious things that arise from
thinking in Actors to people unfamiliar with that model of computation. I
believe part of the reason is that lots of the computation happens as an
emergent property of the invisible web of message traffic, and not in the
procedural actor behavior. How would one program a flock in LISP?