On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM, Andre van Delft
<andre.vande...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Quasiquotes and string interpolation are being added to Scala;
> these don't seem to have the two drawbacks that you mentioned for E's
> design.
> [...]
> http://infoscience.epfl.ch/record/185242/files/QuasiquotesForScala.pdf

Thanks Andre for your many links of which I copied but one.

Scala quasiquotes look nice indeed, and seem to handle
the common and simple cases very well, but
they are not a general mechanism for arbitrary grammatical non-terminals,
and they are not designed to nest without a lot of clumsy escaping.
It seems to me they are not implicitly hygienic, either,
but that's asking a lot.

A more general approach for a language with a rich grammar
with arbitrary many (and extensible) non-terminal types might be that of
Racket's syntax-parse by Ryan Culpepper which has #`quasiquotations, or
Jon Rafkind's honu syntax for Racket, which I believe has the same.
I believe Dave Moon's PLOT may have something, too.

In any case, it's possible to have better macros and quasiquotations

in an infix language than E or Scala provides.

I can't say at this point how to make it work in the context of maru
and its extensible parsers,

but the idea would probably be to add extra parametrization to the parsers,

to allow for an optional "escape up".

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started
is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and
then starting on the first one. — Mark Twain