Hi,

After spending months banging my head over Earley Parsing, I have
decided to write a tutorial.  Ian once said Earley parsing is simple
and easy to implement.  I agree with "simple", but not with "easy".
The required background knowledge is not trivial.

This tutorial is an attempt to gather this knowledge in one place.
Nothing fancy, no deep math, no proof of correctness.  Just a
(hopefully) intuitive explanation of the concepts, needed to implement
Earley parsing.  The goal is to help competent programmers who know
little about parsing to write their own Earley parsing framework.

So far, I have done most of the recogniser.  The following pages are
"done", and up for review:

http://loup-vaillant.fr/tutorials/earley-parsing/
http://loup-vaillant.fr/tutorials/earley-parsing/what-and-why
http://loup-vaillant.fr/tutorials/earley-parsing/chart-parsing
http://loup-vaillant.fr/tutorials/earley-parsing/recogniser

Questions and criticisms are most welcome.  I'd like to know about any
factual inaccuracy, poor wording, confusing explanation… please don't
hesitate to question anything, even the structure of this tutorial.

Enjoy, and thanks,
Loup.