Hi Dan,

Quoting Dan Amelang <daniel.amel...@gmail.com>:

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the screenshots, that helps a lot! Now, it would be ideal to
have a visual like this to for the comparison:
http://typekit.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/jensonw-900.png. But, I know
that you've got limited time to work on this, and such a thing wouldn't
be very high priority. Maybe down the road.

Please take a look
at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13285702/Morphic3-TimesNewRomanSample.png
I used Times New Roman for the sample. It is similar but not identical to
the font in the Adobe demo image. I did it by converting the text to SVG in
Inkscape, then using Morphic 3 to draw the svg file.

There is no hinting at all here! Just better rasterization. The shape and
weight is truer and more uniform (especially at smaller sizes), most glyphs
look sharper. Starting from the third line, the quality is consistently
better.

Also, comparing your renderer+stroke font to the recently open sourced
Adobe font rasterizer would be interesting, too

(http://blog.typekit.com/2013/05/01/adobe-contributes-cff-rasterizer-to-freetype/).
As far as I can tell, Adobe's rasterizer is pretty much the the
state-of-the-art rasterizer for outline font rasterization. If you're
making the case that outline fonts are intrinsically unable to match the
quality of your stroke font, this comparison would be a convincing way to
do
so.

I think the real contribution of Morphic 3 here is better rasterization,
that doesn't need hinting to give very crisp and detailed results.

Going back to the topic of Morphic 3 rendering TrueType fonts,  I'm
attaching a few unfiltered zooms from your M3-TTF.png (your more recent
M3-TTF-5.png looks the same in these areas). Notice the saturated colors
in the middle of the black text. You mentioned that you have color
fringing problems with <9 point sizes, but this font is about 12pt and
the problem doesn't look like color fringing (i.e., the coloring isn't
light nor just on the fringes, see
http://typekit.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/gdi-cleartype.png for what I
understand color fringing to look like). Maybe something else is going
on here?

    ... snip ...

Dan

Yes. There was a bug there. It only happened for curve segments shorter
than one pixel, affecting only very small point sizes. Thanks for pointing
it out! The sample I prepared today clearly shows that the bug was fixed.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich