Around 10 o'clock on Jul 11, Yao Zhang wrote:

> In fonts.conf, we can already do something like
>     if zh_CN then
>         serif: {.., SimSun18030.ttc, ..}
>     if zh_HW/zh_TW then
>         serif: {.., MING_UNI.TTF, ..}

This particular case would use the general match/edit elements:

        <match target="pattern">
                <test qual="any" name="lang">
                        <string>zh-cn</string>
                </test>
                <test qual="any" name="family">
                        <string>sans-serif</string>
                </test>
                <edit name="family" mode="prepend">
                        <string>SimSun</string>
                        <string>Ming</string>
                </edit>
        </match>
        <match target="pattern">
                <test qual="any" name="lang">
                        <string>zh-tw</string>
                </test>
                <test qual="any" name="family">
                        <string>sans-serif</string>
                </test>
                <edit name="family" mode="prepend">
                        <string>Ming</string>
                        <string>SimSun</string>
                </edit>
        </match>

> Another way to do it is to make a font list with the right information in
> it.  For example, if we can not always get the language-country property
> reliablely, we can have a way to supply it manually.

That leads in a problematic direction -- currently, the font database is
computed solely from the fonts themselves, adding configuration into this
mix would either require changes to the font database caching mechanism or
would require "editing" each font database entry at startup by running it
through some configuration.

Note that the format shown above nicely parallels the per-language font
configuration mechanism already used by Mozilla.

Keith Packard        XFree86 Core Team        HP Cambridge Research Lab