Juliusz> I think he meant combining multiple sizes into a single TTF.
Juliusz> Recall that TTF/OTF is a scalable format, and may contain
Juliusz> sbits for multiple sizes (``strokes'' in OTF parlance).

I did run the two distinct points together.  Multiple sizes into a
ttf/otf should I think definitely be done.  Whether those ttf/otf
files should then be combined by family into a ttc/otc is a separate
issue.  I strongly advocate the former, whereas the latter is just
something I thought of while keying in the reply....

I just tried importing each of the utopia bdfs into pfaedit and
generating a ttf.  The 18pt and 24pt 75dpi bdfs could not be imported
w/o overwriting 100dpi versions because they had the same PIXEL_SIZE.
I think this is a limitation of pfaedit rather than the ttf/otf format.

The resulting ttf worked fine.  It did include a .notdef outline
(instructed, even) in the glyf table, as well as empty entries for
each of the other glyphs.  So the existance of a .notdef outline
should probably be actively ignored when determining whether the font
is bitmap-only.  I'm sure other (general purpose) ttf generators will
also do that.

.notdef did not get an outline in the CFF table, however, when I
generated on otf file, but none of the several versions I have of
ftview would show the bitmaps in the otf....

OTOH, the pfaedit-generated ttf (or otf) was about 1/6 larger than the
total of the gzip(1)ed pcf files per wc -c, but only 8k larger per du.

-JimC