I downloaded, built, and installed the fontconfig2 package
from fontconfig.org, on an x86 box running Debian
unstable/experimental.  No problems building or installing.

When I start Mozilla (also from fontconfig.org), it
segfaults.  Using strace I see that it segfaults right after
opening and reading a font in
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice.  I deleted the
offending font, but it segfaulted on another font in that
directory.  I removed the ttf-openoffice package and that
fixed the problem.

You can test this by installing the ttf-openoffice package
which is in Debian (unstable, at least).

I'll rebuild Xft2 and fontconfig with -g, and attach with
the debugger if I can.

Regards,
Jeffrey Baker

P.S. The content in Mozilla looks awesome on my LCD screen,
but the default font in the classic theme is way too small.
Invisibility of white text on black remains a major problem.
Any chance of rolling in one of the gamma correction
patches?